In the early spring of 1969 XXIV Corps G-2 (Intelligence) determined that the NVA was using an offshoot of the Ho Chi Minh Trail to move large amounts of supplies into the Corps southern area. This revelation was primarily a result of the heavy combat the 101st Airmobile Division had experienced which culminated in the Battle of Hill 937 (Hamburger Hil) late in May of 1969. In an attempt to cut this flow and to relieve pressure in the south, the 1st BDE of the 5th Division was tasked to conduct operations along the Laotian border near Lang Ve.
Task Force Remagen was formed to do this mission. Initially built around the 1st BN 77th Armor, the control headquarters was changed to the 1st Bn 61st Infantry as the operation developed. The TF included two line companies of the 1st Bn 61st Infantry, one company of Infantry from the 1st BN 11th Infantry, Charlie Company of tanks from the 1st Battalion 77th Armor, a firing battery from the 5/4 Artillery and a platoon of Duster 40 mm AA guns. Engineer Units and other support troops were part of the TF too. Air support, both helicopter and USAF, was included in the TF plan.

(LEFT) An Armored Vehicle Launched Bridge (AVLB) is used to cross a stream west of Khe Sanh.

      (RIGHT) Infantry from 1/11 ride 1/77 tanks.
Moving overland along Highway 9, the TF reached Lang Ve. From there, making its own roads and breaking jungle as they went, the TF reached the Vietnamese Laotian border. To support their operations troops established LZ Saigon (XD 788340) just to the southwest of the destroyed Khe Sanh village, FSB Tenaru to the southeast of the village and LZ Remagen astride HWY 9. LZ Remagen was the main base for the TF. All resupply came by air. Ammo, food, water, fuel, spare parts to include a tank engine and transmittion, were all delivered by helicopters. The TF had cut its overland supply line and could move where ever it was needed.

(LEFT) Tanks break trail.

      (RIGHT) LZ Saigon. Laos in the background.
Using the two bases as night defensive positions, the units of the TF began to conduct heavy patrols in the area. The NVA, recognizing the danger to their supply lines, quickly reacted. On successive nights the NVA made strong attacks on LZ Saigon and FSB Tenaru. In all cases the attacks were beaten off with heavy losses to the NVA. Well developed fire plans, tanks firing flachett rounds and preplanned indirect fires took an awful toll on the attacking NVA troops.

At left Captain Bill Starr, Commander, C Company 1/61, calls in
Spot Report after NVA attack of his unit's position on LZ Saigon.

Realizing that they were unable to destroy the American forces, the NVA withdrew and redirected their supply. They did, however, leave forces to harass, ambush and mine the area. Patrol contacts were frequent and mine damage to some vehicles could not be repaired. Try as they might, the NVA could not reopen the supply line that the TF had destroyed and so they abandoned it. The TF mission was completed. After more than two weeks of continuous contact the TF returned to Quang Tri. They had proven that there was no safe place in northern I Corps for the NVA.

The picture on the right is the dug-in CP for TF 1/61. LTC Dave Hartigan, BN CO, can be seen studying the air strike target list prepared by Capt Fred Jelinek, S-3 Air for the TF.

The picture below came from Bob Forman, 1/77 Armor.

Most of these Remagen pictures were provided by Joe Malloy, 2nd Platoon, C Company 1/77 Armor. More pictures from TF Remagen can be found in Vietnam Thumbnails.